Lincoln County Humane Society has been protecting animals since 1881.
Dealing with a diverse animal population we are faced with many different situations, oftentimes in severe climate conditions.
We are also faced with funding problems and encourage you to support our work with a tax-deductible donation. You can also assist us by calling to report any instances of suspected cruelty or neglect. If you have any questions regarding animal welfare, please call the shelter.
Please have a look at the rest of our website to see what’s going on at the Lincoln County Humane Society.
The Lincoln County Humane Society is a charitable not-for-profit organization dedicated to the humane treatment of all animals; to alleviate their suffering and neglect, support the human-animal bond and foster an environment in which people respect all living creatures. We will provide safe refuge and compassionate care for animals.
We will pursue workable solutions to the most urgent animal welfare issues of our community, which are animal overpopulation and homelessness. These solutions will emphasize the mutual benefits of bringing pets and people together.
We will provide rescue and control as a lifeline to animals in need, as a necessary service to our community.
We will encourage and provide for pet adoption, animal assisted therapy, pet care education, spay and neuter program and investigations of cruelty and neglect.
As a not-for-profit organization we shall operate these programs with integrity, in a financially responsible manner that secures a financially viable future for this organization with a strong commitment to fundraising and membership development.
This story appeared in the St. Catharines Standard on March 9, 1927.
The Humane Society of St. Catharines was re-organized at a public gathering held last evening in the Guild Hall of St. Thomas Church. There was a large attendance and the new organization got away to a splendid start.
Rev. Canon A.H. Howitt presided as chairman and extended a welcome to those in attendance stating their numbers augered well for the future welfare of the Society. He read regrets from Mayor Smith, Judge Campbell, Hon J. D. Chaplin and E. C. Graves at their inability to be present.
The speaker of the evening was John Wilson, Manager of the Humane Society work in Ontario, who in an interesting talk stated that humane work is making tremendous progress in all parts of the world. In Ontario there are at present 39 societies. He spoke of the work of the Toronto Society and of the crying need for humane work in every section of the country. He also touched on the need for the humane slaughtering of food animals, and then of the progress made in humane education in the schools and especially of the successful work in Hamilton where 61,000 boys are enrolled in the Junior Humane Society.
Later in the evening Mr. Wilson gave to the meeting numerous valuable hints regarding organization. Ald. W. D. Mills, representing the City Council, spoke briefly, stating the Council was behind the organization and would do what they could.
The officers were then chosen as follows:
Honorary Presidents, Hon J. D. Chaplin, Judge Campbell and Mayor Jacob Smith.
President , Rev. A. H. Walker.
Vice-Presidents, Mr. Jamieson and Mrs. Muir.
Secretary, Major David Borland
Treasurer, A. E. Mix
Executive Committee, Mesdames Wade, Maunsell and R. Robinson, Mesers, Snead, Stagg and Lorenzen.
The meeting decided upon fees of $1 yearly and Rev. E. J. Harper accured the honor of being the first paid member. It is the announced intention of the Society to wait upon the City and County Councils to secure grants to enable the immediate employment of an inspector.